The incident occurred on Thursday, which was the first day of a four-day event called “Unleash the Power Within” at the San Jose Conventional Center.
San Jose Fire Department Capt. Reggie Williams said the injured suffered second and third degree burns. Williams said while most of them were treated at the scene, at least three were taken to area hospitals.
According the Robbins’ website, walking across hot coals heated between 1,200 to 2,000 degrees help attendees to “understand that there is absolutely nothing you can’t overcome.”
It is said that 6,000 attendees walked across 12 lanes of hot coals laid out on the grass at a park.
Witness Jonathan Correll told the San Jose Mercury News that he “heard wails of pain, screams and agony,” coming from many of the attendees.
Medical staff and a fire inspector were position at the scene throughout the event