Disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong decided to abandon his fight against charges that he had been doping throughout his career.
Armstrong’s announcement Thursday night could probably cause him his seven Tour de France titles and a lifetime ban from the sport.
In a statement released by the retired Olympian it said in part: “There comes a point in every man’s life when he has to say, ‘Enough is enough’. For me, that time is now.”
He went on to say, “I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in winning my seven Tours since 1999. The toll this has taken on my family and my work for our foundation and on me leads me to where I am today….finished with this nonsense.”
Forty-year-old Armstrong said his decision to abandon his fight against the U.S. Anti Doping Agency is not an admission of guilt, but a refusal to enter an arbitration process he believes is improper and unfair to athletes facing charges.
USADA has maintained that Armstrong has used banned substances as far back as 1996, including the blood-booster EPO and steroids as well as blood transfusions, all to boost his performance. They claim to have had 10 of Armstrong’s former teammates who were ready to testify against him.